The Welcome Week
To finish visa-related paperwork before university registration (Sep.1), we strongly advise international students to arrive at CPU between August 25 and 31, the Welcome Week.
Feedback from previous years show that students who arrive later than Sep.1 missed out important guidance and services provided by the university.
As few on-campus residences and facilities are available prior to the Welcome Week, we do not suggest students come too early, or perhaps find alternative accommodation in a hotel.
Register for Residence
All incoming international students and their family members (including those who studied elsewhere in China) must register with the police station closest to their residence within 24 hours upon arrival in downtown Nanjing, 72 hours for suburban areas, and fill out the Temporary Form for Residence. Staying without registration is considered illegal.
Required documents: Passport, one photocopy of passport. 
Map Directions for Zhongyangmen Police Station (Baidu)
黑龙江路32号 中央门派出所No.32 Heilongjiang Rd., accessible by taxi
Map Directions for Kexueyuan Police Station (Baidu)
江宁科学院派出所 地铁天印大道站Subway Tianyin Dadao Station. Walk southwards till the end

Introduction to Visa and Entry Stamp:
1. All full-time student at CPU must hold a "X" (for student) visa to enter China.
2. Student must register at CPU between August 25 and 30. We do not provide room and accomodation for early and late arrival if not specified.
9. “000” means 30 days upon arrival. To maintain legal stay in China, you must apply for a Residence Permit, which is equal to a multi-entry visa.
10. The city of Chinese embassy in your country.
12. Visa number.
Entry Stamp is red and oval. It shows the date and port of arrival. For example, 浦东means Shanghai, 白云means Guangzhou.
Health Certificate
First-time Residence Permit applicants must apply for a Health Certificate at Jiangsu International Travel Hygiene Center (#1 Baixia Rd., Metro Zhangfuyuan Station. Tel: 52345700, Opens Mon-Fri .8:30-11:00AM, ) with your: Passport, Original Health Certificates of your own country’s (if those certificates are approved by the center, you only need to pay about 60 Yuan. If not, you need to go through the Physical Examination and pay about 300 Yuan), and two 2-inch photos.
Map Directions for Hygiene Center (Baidu)
白下路1号 地铁张府园站 #1 Baixia Rd., Subway Zhangfuyuan Station
Notice 1: This physical examination is for visa extension only, different from the university physical exam which is used for the Medical Card.
Notice 2: Physical Examination is only given in the morning, so don’t have anything for breakfast, including water. The Health Certificate will be issued in about 3 working days and only in the afternoon.
Residence Permit
For first entry:
When you receive your Health Certificate, you may then apply for Residence Permit at Nanjing Visa Center (Opens Mon-Sat.), window 16-18, and make payments at the bank counter in the lobby. The Residence Permit will be issued in 7 days, during which your passport will be kept in the Visa Center.
Map Directions for Visa Center (Baidu)
三元巷洪公祠1号 南京市公安局出入境管理处 地铁张府园站 #1 Sanyuanxiang, Nanjing Public Security Bureau, subway Zhangfuyuan Station
For your convenience: students living on Jiangning campus may also process Residence Permit issues with Jiangning Kexueyuan Police Station
Map Directions for Kexueyuan Police Station (Baidu)
江宁科学院派出所 地铁天印大道站Subway Tianyin Dadao Station. Walk southwards till the end
Required documents for first entry:
1.         Temporary Residence Form (filled with local police)
2.         Passport
3.         Two photocopies for: passport page and Visa page
4.         Letter of Visa Extension (Issued by International Office)
5.         Health Certificate (from Hygiene Center)
6.         Yellow page of your JW201/202 (Issued by International Office). Transferred student reminder: If the yellow page has already been submitted to the previous university, ask for a photocopy of Ministry of Education offical letter from the International Office.
7.         Admission Notice (Issued by International Office)
8.         A completed application Form with 2-inch photo (available at the lobby of Visa Center and the International Office)
9.         Application fee:¥200 (for passport number change), ¥400 (less than 1 year), ¥800 (1-3 years) or ¥1000(more than 3 years))

Residence Permit

 Application Form
Extending Passport and Residence Permit
For renewing your passport, contact the embassy/consulate of your country at least 1 month before the expiration date.  If they cannot mail it back in time, student shall ask  the embassy/consulate to issue an official letter and mail/fax to the Jiangsu Public Security Bureau identifying the problem and avoid penalties. 
Student who wish to continue study in China shall pay close attention to the expiration date of residence permit. Students are responsible for all fines (RMB 500 a day, 5000 Yuan maximum) and penalties (5-10 days detention, expel from university, repatriation) generated from visa expiration. For extending your visa/residence permit, please contact the International Office 7 days before its expiration date and receive an official letter for extension.
CSC scholarship students will be given an extension to: July 31 of the year of graduation.
For self-funded student: the time of extension varies according to the student's payment. Student who have PAID IN FULL one year's tuition, residence and insurance fees will be given a 1-year extension. Student who paid one-year tuition but half-year residence fees/insurance will only be given 6 month extension, and not exceeding January 31th (Fall semester) or July 31th (Spring semester). We will report to the Visa Center and cancel the visa/residence permit of those who fail to pay within the time limit.
"Dependent" means husband/wife and children only. Parents and brothers/sisters are not considered as dependents):
To apply for first-entry "L" (travel) visa for dependents: Must provide a photocopy/scan of marriage certificate authorized by the Chinese embassy in your country, or Birth Certificate issued by a hospital, then ask for an official letter from the International Office. This letter, however, is not a substitute for marriage or birth certificate.
Dependents may apply for a Residence Permit up to two years (not longer than the student’s graduation date) with: original marriage certificate which is authorized by the Chinese Embassy. If the certificate is not authorized, a dependent may only apply for a 3-month residence permit each time, and only twice (for a maximum of 6 months).
Visa Issues after graduation
Students who graduate in July (including those who wish to pursue a higher degree at CPU in the following September
) shall return to home country before July 31st and vacate all their personal belongings in dormitory room. The university no longer provides letter for extension, and dormitory rooms wil be vacated for new arrangements.
Those who fail in major exams and cannot graduate shall contact Office of Undergraduate Teaching Affairs or Graduate School to make an appointment for make-up exams, which usually take place in the end of August. Meanwhile, student shall go back to own country to avoid visa expiration, and re-apply for visa otherwise.
Graph: Visa processes